Friday, December 16, 2011

Guest Post :: Healthy and Happy Hour!


Hi Everyone!

This is my first guest blog post for Pretty in Pink Style, and I’m pretty excited about it. Can’t say I consider myself too much of a fashionista so I love reading the tips  Molly pulls together! Hopefully she can save my wardrobe, while I save your waistlines J.


I am a registered dietitian (yes, same thing as nutritionist but with actual training) and love figuring out ways for young professionals to stay healthy while having fun. (Skinny) cocktails are always on my menu! Here are my top five tips for dining during the holidays.

1.       Go the party at least a little bit hungry. Most people will tell you not to go on an empty stomach. You needn’t be ravenous, but unless you have willpower of steel, you are probably going to eat a little something either way. So why eat a full meal beforehand? Instead, let yourself enjoy the festive foods in moderation.  
2.       Survey the scene. I am a sucker for hors d’oeuvres, because I love trying all the flavor combinations. And anything with caramelized onions or cheese on it? Well I’m all in. Heavy apps are usually stationed on a buffet line or table, so take a nonchalant walk and see what’s out there. Pick your “must haves” for when you return for a few nibbles. This will keep you from grabbing things as you see them and will instead reserve your plate space for the things you’re truly dying to try.
3.       Go easy on the sauces and dips. Especially the cream or cheese-based ones. Okay, I know this one is not as fun but it can really save you a ton of fat and calories. Get a PLATE instead of dipping into the serving bowl. Novel idea, right?
4.       Food before cocktails. Stay classy, ladies. Grab a bite to eat before the drinks get to you and you are more likely to make better choices. No one wants to watch a pretty lady in a cocktail dress go to town on the flatbreads. 
5.       Drink wisely. If you choose to drink, of course. If you like something fruity, squeeze fresh fruit yourself. Otherwise, you’re best suited to wine or a clear alcohol with a calorie-free mixer. Some people can stick it out with water, but I prefer soda water myself. If you choose diet tonic water, make sure it’s quinine free. SELF magazine did a great article  on skinny cocktails, if you’re in need of a little inspiration. I can’t wait to try the Peppermint Mojito!

Molly is putting together a super cool gift guide for my blog, Healthy & Happy Hour , so check out her foodie finds for some last-minute gift ideas! Or, let’s be real, it’s also a great way to spend your post-holiday $$$. Enjoy!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment